1. Insert your data
Auto-detect your geographic coordinates... or manually insert your city
2a. Encode your data (Method "The Shadows")
Positions in Cairns
- Choose an image each from Australia and Japan,whose time markers are as close as possible.
- Make sure both images are good quality and that Venus and some sunspots are clearly visible in each.
- For each image, click on 'Venus' and then place the cursor as centrally as possible on Venus' shadow.
- Then, for each image, choose a sunspot, noting its position relative to Venus' shadow. Again, mark it with the cursor. Make sure you use the same sunspot in each image!
- Finally, mark the centre of each image with the cursor.
- Click 'Submit' and your Earth-Sun distance will be calculated according to the 'Method of shadows' (see Section 5 of the reference document).
- Please click on the "Feedback" button to send us your feedback.
Positions in Sapporo
The upper left corner is used as a reference for the coordinates. Try to work up to 1 pixel accuracy.
3a. Encode your data (Method "The Strings")
Position in Cairns and Sapporo
Please send us your feedback
The upper left corner is used as a reference for the coordinates.